LEE'S BEEF CHOW MEIN

So we are now in the next phase of of the Pandemic.  6 week lock down and produce in supermarkets in low supply..  Good time to be creative and use up all your pantry staples and empty out your freezer and fridge.  One item that is always in the freezer is mince meat.... If you read my youvarlakia post you would know how much I love this stuff!

Lee is in charge of the charcoal bbq and spag bol..but another dish he does well is chow mein.  It may not be the prettiest of dishes but it is SO GOOD!  

The other day at work, while we were wrapping up paper work and organising keys etc for final property settlements before LOCK DOWN....conversation turned to food..I was telling my boss how Lee makes a mean chow mein...Dannie told me that he loves it with sour cream and chilli sauce with chips to scoop it up. This conversation made me think of how this dish came about.

After a bit of research I've come to the conclusion that it is an Australian hybrid of obviously the Chinese chicken chow mein..which means stir fried noodles.  Apparently back in the 70's and 80's this recipe appeared on the back of packets of chicken noodle soup and became a family staple.  The only Asian dish my family came close to back in the 80's was fried rice which became an addition to every buffet table of Greek households holding Name Day parties.  Memories!...that was my job at my dad's name day.. I remember in grade 5 Mrs Brown at Mentone Primary School gave us an assignment on instructions.  My one of course, was a step by step, illustrated instruction page on how to make fried rice.  She actually took it home to follow my recipe..Things one remembers!! But back to Chow Mein.


Recipe

500gr beef mince

1/2 green cabbage cut finely

2 carrots sliced

2 onions chopped

1 cup green beans chopped

1 tbs curry powder (adjust to your liking - we like using a lot)

3 tbs rice

2 tbs soy sauce

2 tsp worcestershire sauce   

1 packet of chicken noodle soup ( or 2 tsp chicken stock powder and 1/2 cup noodles)

1 tbs olive oil

1 cup or so of water

Method

1. Saute the onion and carrots in olive oil until soft

2. Add the mince meat until browned.

3. Add the curry powder and chicken noodle soup mix and stir

4. Add the cabbage and stir until wilted then add beans.

5. Pour in both soy sauce and worcestershire sauce.

6. Add the rice, stir and 1 cup of water

7. Cook on low to medium heat.  Check constantly to ensure that it doesn't stick to the bottom adding water if needed.

8. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.


I tried it with sour cream and Marion's coconut sriracha sauce... Delish...


Enjoy...Kali Orexi

Kalliroy (aka Carol)





Comments

Popular Posts