Pumpkin Soup My Way


Our neighbours recently bought acreage in Gippsland a few months ago and we now are reaping the rewards.  They dropped off a box of pumpkin, apples, potatoes and beans a couple of weeks ago.  The pumpkin was so pretty I couldn't bear chopping it up.
However as our lives have so dramatically changed I decided to use up all the food we have in the house before going out shopping again.  So the pumpkin got the chop!!


I love traditional pumpkin soup but like I've mentioned before... I can't follow a recipe to save myself.  This is my version of pumkin soup.  

Pumpkin Soup my Way

1 kilo pumpkin (1/4 large pumpkin)
1 large potato
1 large onion chopped
½ leek chopped
1/2 tbs crushed coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin powder
1 litre chicken stock or 1tbs chicken stock powder
2 large handfuls of baby spinach
1 can chickpeas  (drained and rinsed)
1 thinly sliced uncooked chicken breast 


In a saucepan sauté the chopped onion and leek till soft and add the pumpkin and potato and stir for about 5 minutes.  Add the spices and continue stirring for a further 1 minute.

Carefully pour enough stock (or stock powder and water) to cover the pumpkin by about 5 cm.   

When the vegetables are soft blend them using a hand blender.  Taste for salt and pepper.  If too thick add a bit of water.

Add the spinach, the chickpeas and the chicken.  

Simmer for 5 minutes until the chicken has cooked through.

Serve with Greek yoghurt and fresh coriander.

If you want to make this vegetarian, replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock and obviously omit the chicken!

Enjoy with some just out of the oven No Knead Bread.

Kali Orexi
Kalliroy aka Carol

Comments

Popular Posts