Pastitsada.. a regional dish from the beautiful island of Corfu!



I've been making a variation of this traditional dish from Corfu for years and only found out recently of its origins.
Anyone who knows me knows that I love my Greek tv series...Lee often asks me when I'm lying in bed at night with my handy Mac on my lap " Is that Greek Days of our Lives again?"...  Well the show I'm watching is better..The director/actor Andreas Georgiou is not only talented but a major hottie!  His latest tv series "8 Λεξεις" is filmed on the beautiful island of Corfu..  Like all the other series he has been involved with in the last 5 years, which are filmed in various locations in Greece, showcase the region's beauty and often mention its local food specialities in the script.  Being me, of course my ears prick up,  and as I watch my show my food research begins on my split screen.  Corfu's cuisine is heavily influenced by its centuries old Venetian occupation.

This dish is usually made with rooster or beef and is beautifully aromatic as it uses a lot of warm spices ..  I make it with chicken as it is easier to find and cooking time is a lot shorter using this protein.  One and a half  hour tops from start to finish.   In one scene of the show "Nonna" the grandmother, is telling "Ifigenia" that pastitdada is a red sauce which even though it is made with tomato currently in the old days the sauce's red colour came only from red peppers.  So because I can't follow a recipe to save myself I added paprika and tomato to mine.  In homage to Nonna's culinary wisdom.

Recipe - feeds 4-6

1 chicken cut into 8 portions
2-4 tbs olive oil
3 onions finely sliced
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 cinnamon stick
a pinch of greek oregano
2-4  tsp paprika
6 all spice berries
2 bay leaves
1 tsp sugar
1 tbs tomato paste
salt and pepper
1 can tomato
water
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 pack bucatini pasta or ( pasta for pasticio which is what I used )
dried myzithra (ricotta), kefalotiri or parmesan ( I use dried myzithra)

1. In a heavy bottom casserole on medium to high heat add a tablespoon of oil and sear the chicken pieces in batches until golden.

2. Remove chicken and put aside.  In the same pot add the remaining olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until just soft. Add the cinnamon, oregano, paprika, all spice and bay leaves and stir for a minute.

3. Add the tomato paste and continue stirring for a few seconds.  Pour in the red wine vinegar and wine.  Simmer for a couple of minutes and then add the can of chopped tomatoes.  Fill the empty can with water and also pour this in the casserole. Ensure the chicken is just covered with liquid.

4. Carefully add the chicken pieces, salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer on low to medium heat for about 45 minutes to an hour.  Keep an eye out on your sauce and stir occasionally to ensure that it doesn't catch at the bottom of casserole.  Your sauce should be lusciously thick when ready.

5. 15 minutes before chicken is ready boil a pot of water and cook your pasta.

6. Once pasta is cooked strain.

7. Add a couple of ladles of sauce to your pasta pot and add strained pasta.  Let that cook for a minute.  This step allows the pasta to absorb some of that beautiful sauce.

8. I like to serve my pasta in a huge bowl/platter as a centre piece and everyone can grab as much as they like.

9. Add some of the pasta to the bowl/platter, sprinkle with some cheese, add another layer with remaining pasta  and carefully arrange chicken pieces and sauce on top of pasta.

10. Sprinkle with more cheese and dig in!!

Kali Orexi
Kalliroy aka Carol


Comments

Popular Posts