Greek Salad - Horiatiki



God I love summer!!!!  I probably have a horiatiki at least 4 times a week for lunch.  Tomatoes are at their best, cucumbers are in season and great way to finish up the olives that I brined last Easter.  I used to love serving my salad with a big slice of feta on top of the salad as they do in taverns but my ex's dad changed my view on that.  In my opinion crumble your cheese (greek feta preferably) on top and mix through.  The cheese mixes in with the olive oil and the juices from the ripe tomato.  That is where the magic is...Just get some fresh crusty bread and dip....

Ingredients for 1 serving
1-2 medium ripe tomatoes
1//2 peeled continental cucumber
1/2 red onion thinly sliced
fetta cheese at least 50-60 grams
kalamata olives
1/2 banana chilli (capsicum)
greek oregano (a must - don't bother without this!)
salt
extra virgin olive oil

Cut tomatoes in wedges and put in serving dish,  add sliced onion, sliced cucumber in rounds, sliced capsicum, crumble the cheese on top, sprinkle with greek oregano (you can find in all greek delis) & salt and add lashing of good quality extra virgin olive oil.    Mix well and serve with crusty bread.  Leave the bread till last and dip in the yummy dressing the tomato juices, oil and cheese have created!!!

Kali orexi
Carol aka Kalliroy

Comments

Popular Posts