Fava me loukanika



While I was in Greece last year, I bought a bag of the famous Santorini fava.. In summer it's traditionally matched with sliced red onion and capers, grilled octopus, or even a tomato caper sauce.  Being winter in Melbourne and having a heap of home made Greek sausages I thought I'd combine the two.  I made a version of spetsofai.  A sausage dish with peppers and tomatoes.


To be honest I've never made fava before.  I thought it would be like cooking chickpeas.  I'd have to leave them soaking overnight bla bla bla. To my surprise it was pretty quick.

Fava 

1/2 kilo yellow split peas (santorini ones if you can find)
2 onions chopped
salt pepper
7 cups water (you may need more)
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Rinse the peas and place in a pot with the bay leaves, onions and water.  Simmer for about 1 hour - 1 1/2, ensuring you skim the foam that forms.  The peas will absorb all the water.  Once they are soft pass through a sieve or if you can't be bothered do as I did and place in the food processor.  (after you remove the bay leaves)

Place back in the pot and season.  Add the olive oil.

Loukanika spetsofai ala Carol style

4 loukanika (you can use Greek sausages or chorizo)
4 red peppers (roasted with skin removed)
1 onion sliced
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 tbs honey
3 tbs balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup tomato passata
pinch chili
salt pepper
parsley for garnish
splash wine

Saute the onions and garlic until soft.  Add the sliced sausages and cook through.  Add the peppers, honey, balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 2 or so minutes.  Add the tomato and chili and cook for another minute.  Add a splash of wine at this stage if you like.  Up to you!  No rules! Season to taste.

As I cooked for a crowd, I placed the fava on a chopping board with the sausages on top.  Garnish with chopped parsley.  Serve with pita bread…

P.S  Sorry about the photo, didn't have time to be creative!

Delicious!!

xxxx Carol








Comments

Popular Posts