Flinders Mussel Giouvetsi



We have strange weather here in Melbourne..It can be 30º one day and 18º the next.  Today it's a mental 43º ….CRAZY…A couple of Sundays ago was one of these days but the weather changed within a matter of seconds…Very scary as one second I was watching my little one jumping on the trampoline whilst I was on the elevated verandah and the next I was close to literally losing her.  It must have been a mini cyclone as I watched the verandah roof fly off above me an head towards the trampoline.  Panic stations kicked in when I realised she wasn't on there but on the boat which was it's next target.  It slammed against the boat then some how the wind picked it up and aimed it right at my mum and baby.  Then something incredible happened.  It flew over their heads, over the fence and down the street.  This thing was nailed and bolted down so you can just imagine the force of it.  Well if I didn't believe in guardian angels in the past I sure do now..


DISASTER AVERTED



Any way that morning was amazing.  Evangeline and I went for a drive to beautiful Flinders. We went to the market where Princess made me buy her a "pashalitsa" headband (ladybird) and then found a mirror at the next stall and couldn't stop admiring herself.

I bumped into an old high school friend which was lovely…Funny thing is I bumped into another high school friend the day before at the Emu Plains market.. I can't believe it's been 25 years!!! Time flies…

choosing a Turkish rug @ Flinders Market


























We then met up with Lee and Evangeline's big sister Kate.  We went for a stroll to the pier where I bought the most delicious mussels off the boat.  Loved it!!!

These beauties where HUGE and full of meat.  So after the drama of what happened later on that afternoon I made a mussel giouvetsi with ingredients I put in my mussel giouvetsi…It was amazing!



Beautiful summer day 



Hanging out with my gorgeous stepdaughter Kate



Oh Greece I miss you!!


Part of the Pellizzer clan!







Flinders pier




Mussel man




These babies where huge

finished dish….yummo




Mussel Giouvetsi  (feeds 2-4)

1 kilo mussels prepared (reserve some shells)
1 cup risoni pasta
ouzo shot
½ cup olive oil
1 banana capsicum diced
handful of spinach chopped
½ cup chopped parsley
40 grams crumbled feta cheese
2 cloves Garlic finely chopped
1 large onion grated
chilli and greek oregano
1 cup tomato passata
1 ½ cups reserved mussel stock
1 cup water

Prepare the mussels as described below and put aside.  Saute onion and garlic until translucent and add the capsicum.  Add the risoni and stir for a couple of minutes. Then add the liquid (water, stock and tomato), spices and the spinach, give it a quick stir and cover for about 7 minutes on a low heat.  At this point add the mussels and some of the shells. Cover and continue to cook until the risoni is aldente.  Leave covered for another 5 minutes whilst you prepare the final touches.  Chop the parsley and crumble the feta. Scatter these on top and serve with a nice glass of wine and crusty bread and salad.

Note: Ratio of risoni to liquid is 1:3   1 cup risoni to 3  liquid 


Preparation of mussels
Clean barnacles off mussels and remove beards (seaweedy bits hanging out the side of the mussels) carefully.
Place mussels in large saucepan with a splash ouzo. Simmer for a few minutes until the shells open.
Remove meat from shells ensuring that there is no beards or little crabs left in them

Pour mussel stock through muslin to ensure that no impurities are left in stock


Enjoy
Carol xxxx




Comments

Popular Posts