Baked Chicken & Rice...



This was one of my favourite dishes growing up.  It also happens to be one of my stepdaughters favourites as well...  So simple to make with only 2 main ingredients.  Chicken and rice..

I think I was about 9 when I first "attempted" to make this.  Back in the day when kids could fend for themselves during the school holidays, mum would leave me instructions in Greek on how to prepare that night's dinner..  One of the instructions called for 1 1/2 cups of rice...Well naturally I thought that was incorrect so me being me modified the recipe and added 9 cups of rice... There was no way I was only having a couple of tablespoons of this yummy rice...Well little did I know at the time that it would end in disaster...overflowing tasteless rice as I had to keep on adding water.....My mum was so pissed off...In later years she said that she was so mad because she expected more from me in the cooking department...Well I've never made that mistake again...

INGREDIENTS

1- 1 1/2 kilos chicken pieces
1 1/2 coffee cups short grain rice
water
salt and pepper

Place the chicken in a large saucepan and cover with water.  (This water creates the stock) Simmer for about 45 minutes.  Add salt to stock to taste.  (I love my salt but not too heavy handed!)

Remove the chicken pieces from the saucepan.  Add the rice to a deep baking dish and add 4 coffee cups of the chicken stock. Carefully place the chicken pieces on top.  Sprinkle pepper and bake in moderate oven  (about 180 degrees) for about 45 minutes until rice is soft.  Leave to cool slightly and serve with feta cheese and green salad...

xxxx Carol

Comments

Popular Posts